The Great Basin Fiber Arts Fair is an annual celebration of all things fiber in the Salty Lake City area. The event includes fiber arts market, fiber arts demonstrations, friendly competitions and nice selection of fiber arts classes.
Classes cost $35 if preregistered, and $40 the day of the fair. Here is a brief overview of the class offerings:
- BEGINNING SPINDLE SPINNING
- ICE DYEING
- SPINDLING SPINNING SOCKALISHOUS YARNS
- SPINDLING THE PERFECT ROLAG
- FINISHING YOUR FABRIC: Yes, You Have to Wash It!
- SPIN & PLY HAND-PAINTED BATTS, ROVING & COMBED TOP
- SUPPORTED SPINDLING
- TRI-LOOM WEAVING
- NEEDLE FELTED GNOMES OR ELVES
- SHIBORI DYEING
- RAVISHING RAVELRY & OTHER ELECTRONIC KNITTING TOOLS
- TOOTHBRUSH RAG RUG
There is a competition for nearly every stripe of fiber artist. They fall into the following broad categories:
- Felted Finished Item
- Knitted Finished Item
- Tatting Finished Item
- Woven Finished Item
The fair is from 9 to 4, August 24 and 25, 2013 at the Salt Lake County Equestrian Park and Events Center. For more information see The Great Basin Fiber Arts Fair Website.
And if you don’t live anywhere near Salt Lake City, check out our Yarn and Fiber Events Map for what’s happening fiber near you.