The Finger Lakes Fiber Festival promises to be a wonderful fall fiber extravaganza in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of New York state. The Sept 21 & 22 event will feature a busy marketplace of over 70 fiber related vendors, lots of demos, classes, competitions and special guest speaker Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, aka The Yarn Harlot.
The list of free demos includes Spinning Angora, Wool Combing, Charka Spinning, Basket Weaving, Tape Loom Weaving, Silk Reeling, Sheep Shearing, Fleece Skirting, Alpaca Fiber Carding, Great Wheel Spinning, Drop Spindle Spinning, Triangular Loom Weaving, Silk Reeling, Spinning Cotton and that’s not everything. See the website for a complete listing.
Classes can be registered for online or at the festival (if space is available). Most classes are reasonably priced ($20 +-) with a small materials fee.
The following classes are being offered:
- Beginning Spinning at the Wheel by Stefania Issacson
- Brioche Helmet Hat with Eric Kosich
- Charkha Spinning with Glenna Chumbley
- Combing 101 with Chris Majauckas
- Demystifying Crochet Patterns with Marie Segares
- Double-Ended Crochet Basics with Marie Segares
- Drop Spindle 101 with Chris Majauckas
- Introduction to Tunisian Crochet with Marie Segares
- Knitting Fleecy Mittens with Stefania Isaacson
- Painted in the Wool with Glenna Chumbley
- Scintillating Silk Scarves with Jessica Walter
- Shizuku Scarf with Erin Kosich
- Wet Felting a Nuno Scarf with Denise Tarbox
- Worsted vs. Woolen with Stefania Isaacson
The Finger Lakes Fiber Festival is Saturday, Sept 21, 10 AM-5 PM and Sunday, Sept. 22 ,10 AM-4 PM at Hemlock Fairgrounds, just north of Hemlock Lake. Admission is $5 per person, with 12 and under free.