Maine is one of my favorite summer places and Halcyon Yarn is one of those yarn shops I’ve always wanted to visit, so when I came across the FiberMe tour it really piqued my interest. The five day tour up and down the Maine coast includes visits to artists’ studios, mills, farms, and galleries. Here’s a quick overview:
Sunday, August 4
- Welcome Reception
Monday, August 5
- Tour showroom and dye studio at Swans Island Blankets.
- Visit Romney Ridge Farm (wool farm).
- Visit Maine Top Hill and Cloud Hollow Farm (Alpaca Farm and Mill).
- Visit Old Point Comfort Studio and meet weaver Sara Hotchkiss.
Tuesday, August 6
- Visit Eggemoggin Textile Studio. Meet weaver Chris Leith and see eco printing demo by Amelia Poole.
- Basket demo by Native American basket maker Pam “Little Pathway” Cunningham.
- Demo and talk on antique Maine Indian baskets by Bobby Ann Packwood.
Wednesday, August 7
- Susie Stephenson, primitive folk artist/ rug hooker leads class on hooked flower brooches.
- Meet various fiber artist at Halcyon Yarn.
- Halcyon Yarn’s Fabulous & Fun Fiber Crafts Fair, 1:00 – 6:00 pm
Thursday, August 8
- Tour Jagger Bros Spinning Mill Springvale, ME
- Tour Saco River Dyehouse Biddeford, ME
- Visit studio of Susan Mills, felt and mixed media artist, Bowdoin, Maine.
Friday, August 9, 2013
- Visit Bartlett Yarns Mill and Store, Harmony, ME.
- Other venues TBA.
There is still space in this year’s tour. The cost is $775, which includes daily lunch (except Wed) and a Friday lobster bake dinner, but not lodging and other meals.
For more info and to register, see Halcyon Yarn’s website.
And if you can’t make it to Maine this summer, check out our Fiber Events Map for other fiber happenings around the country.